Pages

Friday 7 December 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Across the UniverseRating: Wide Eyed
Release Date: November 29th, 2012
Pages: 398
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Bought
Series: Across the Universe #1

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:

"A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming."

Disclaimer: It may be hard to understand my review if you haven't read the book... But I just have to let my thoughts be known! But I promise that I've kept it spoiler-free. :)

So, you know how the publishers do that annoying thing where they change the cover of the book? To be honest, the fact that they changed the cover is what attracted me to this book. Across the Universe is the second space-ship kind of book that I've ever read. The first one that I read was Glow, and I can tell you that I didn't find it that great.

So, going into this book, I didn't except much to come out of it. But as it turns out... I really, really, really loved this book. At the beginning, how juvenile the writing felt really bothered me. And also the fact that there were many typos in the book when they called Elder Eldest! It really confused and slightly annoyed me. If you're going to pick tovery similar names for two of the main characters, I would suggest that you edit the book very carefully to make sure that the names never get mixed up. 

But. With all that negative out of the way, I can honestly say that I loved this book! When we found out who the murderer was and what his role had been, I just knew my guess had been right! But it wasn't one of those annoying, "Oh, pshh. Who didn't see that one coming?" It was one of those ones where your mouth spreads into a large smile because, dammit, you were right! You solved the mystery and good on ya! But at the very end... Ohboy. I didn't see that twist coming at all. That one through me for a loop.

I absolutely loved Elder and completely respected Amy. I could understand why Elder was hesitant at times when he was facing up to Eldest. It would be easier to just let things on the ship go on as they have been. But the fierce determination that Amy fought back with? Her complete dedication and passion for what she believed in to make the citizens lives better when she didn't even know them and the vast majority of them looked at her as if she was a freak? I can so respect that, because I can't say that I would have stuck up for them so fiercely with the way they were treating her. 

So, if you can't tell, this book was fantastic, and I absolutely loved it. What knocked it down a star for me was the typos between Elder and Eldest because, you can't just mix up two characters like that constantly. You just can't. And also because Amy kept referring to her parents as "Momma" and "Daddy," because I don't care what century your from, but if you're seventeen years old, and you come from Earth, you don't refer to your Dad as "Daddy" all the time.

But yeah. I absolutely loved this book and I literally cannot wait for the next one. As in if someone's not buying me this for Christmas (because it's only a couple weeks away), I'm going to go out and buy it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment