Pages

Thursday 14 June 2012

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

Rating: Starry Eyed - 5/5
Release Date: May 10th, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown
Pages: 359

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:
"When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole -- a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her -- she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate . . . someone who truly loves and understands her.
At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her close friend Zack, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all her time with another boy? As the months pass, though, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats.
As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose -- between her "true love" and herself."
This was SUCH an amazing read. While I was reading this story... Which I stayed up till 7am to finish... I was completely swept away by Alex's story. I felt like I was on this emotional ride with her. Heck, sometimes I even felt like I WAS Alex, that's how vivid this book was for me.

The pacing was incredible. Not once did it slow down or speed up to an impossible pace. It stayed constant throughout the whole novel, and it kept me reading from as soon as I picked it up.

The character development in this novel was also amazing... Alex really changed from beginning to end of this book. In the beginning, she was confused, hurt, lost, broken, and most importantly... She felt unloved. But by the end of the book, she had managed to pick up all of her pieces and put together someone who was on the road to recovery. She had the pieces in her hand, and now all that she needed was to put them back together.

The ending was amazing. I felt an incredible amount of closure while it still somehow managed to remain open at the same time. I was happy and proud of Alex, and I can't wait for Jennifer Brown's next book - Perfect Escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment