Pages

Sunday 17 June 2012

Awake at Dawn by C. C. Hunter

Rating: Wide Eyed - 4/5
Release Date: October 11th, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 383

***Warning: This will contain spoilers from the first book***

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:
"From the moment Kylie Galen arrived at Shadow Falls Camp, she’s had one burning question: What am I? Surrounded by vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, fairies and witches, Kylie longs to figure out her own supernatural identity…and what her burgeoning powers mean. And now she’ll need them more than ever, because she’s being haunted by a new spirit who insists that someone Kylie knows—and loves—will die before the end of the summer. If only she only knew who she was supposed to save. And how… 
But giving Kylie the most trouble is her aching heart. Gorgeous werewolf Lucas left camp with another girl, but he’s still visiting Kylie in her dreams. And Derek, a sexy half Fae who’s always been there for her when she needed him, is pushing to get more serious—and growing impatient, especially when Lucas returns. Kylie knows she needs to decide between the boys, and it’s tearing her up inside.

Yet romance will have to wait, because something from the dark side of the supernatural world is hiding in Shadow Falls. It’s about to threaten everything she holds dear…and bring her closer to her destiny."
 Reading over my notes on this book.... One thing seems to come up a LOT, and that would be Kylie's problems. Or rather, her lack of wanting to deal with her problems. Now, I understand that there may be a lot of them and that she just wants a break, but I want to read about a character who's got a back bone, who will stand up and face her fears! Unfortunately... Kylie failed to do that. She only dealt with her problems when she absolutely HAD to. And yet...

And yet... This book was still SO. GOOD. I have no idea how, or even why it was so good. And it's because of her reluctance to deal with her issues that I knocked it down a star, but... Wow. Hunter has managed to rope me in again without me even realizing that she had done it.

**The rest of this review will contain spoilers**





I was so glad that Kylie talked with her ghostly father right off the bat! I was dying to find out if he knew anything about her identity... Which he unfortunately didn't... But still!

Also... It really annoyed me how Della didn't agree to go with Kylie to the falls right off the bat... Especially when Della wanted Kylie to get over the whole blood-issue that she had with Della.

And her daddy problems! My goodness! I understand that you might hate him, and I really did sympathize with Kylie in the beginning! But once we got past the half way point in the book and she was still avoiding her father issues PLUS every single freaking other problem she had, I was about fed up with it. JUST DEAL WITH IT, WOMAN!

And the whole Frederika thing? SHE left to run off with Lucas. Lucas didn't ASK her to come with him, it just HAPPENED. Honestly? What was he going to do about it? You SAW how horribly stubborn Frederika could be!!! Get over yourself, Kylie. Honestly.

And we still don't know what Kylie is! The suspence is KILLING me! It's killing! I want to know already! If I don't know by the end of the third book... I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment