Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

Amazing Characters

Rules of Attration
    by Simone Elkeles

Wide Eyes - 4/5

** This may contain spoilers for the first book, Perfect Chemistry**

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:
"When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now."
The Fuentes brothers are back! And boy, did I miss them. While I found Carlos and Alex to be questionably similar in character, Carlos still managed to have his own voice for me. You do have to realize that they're brothers, and that Carlos was really hoping that he could become more like his older brother before he started dating that "gringa.


I absolutely LOVED the character development in this book. It was awesome watching Carlos finally allowing himself to be... Himself. His love for Kiara was evident even when he couldn't see it himself and I absolutely adored how he interacted with Kiara's little brother Brandon, who I also absolutely adored.


Brandon included, I was completely and emotionally invested in all of the characters involved in this story. I laughed with them, and I even teared up over the Westford family's fierce determination to protect each other. I especially idolized Kiara's dad, Professor Westford, for his dedication in insuring that Carlos was able to turn his life around, even though he had no ties to Carlos whatsoever.


I found what made this books emotions all the more believable, was the fact that Alex and Brittany's relationship wasn't a complete fairy-tail after the end of Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry. It wasn't exactly in shambles, but it did have a few bumps in this book, and I love Elkeles even more for doing that.


Therefore! While I didn't find the plot in Elkeles' Rules of Attraction as gripping as her first book Perfect Chemistry, it still managed to tug at my emotions in an almost demanding way. Rules of Attraction is an amazing companion novel to Perfect Chemistry and I would whole-heartily recommend to anyone. I know for sure that I can say with full confidence that I'm looking forward to hearing the epic love-story of the youngest Fuentes brother, Luis.




**Ps; I'm going to start doing a TBR count down here in hopes that it'll motivate me to get it down to zero! Wish me luck!


TBR Count: 45

No comments:

Post a Comment